As soon as I stepped foot in Tokyo in 2008, I knew I had caught the travelling bug. I decided I didn't just want to travel I wanted to experience the world! The different cultures, the people, the sites and most importantly (to me) the food!

Recently I have started to develop an interest in photography and hope to improve my skills while doing what I love most.

Welcome to my journey........

Monday 6 June 2011

Jimjilbang

On Friday I went for my first Jimjilbang. This is a Korean spa and it’s naked!! There are three or more floors normally. One for women, one for men and one to just relax in the clothes they give you. I was nervous as I’m English and we don’t normally have our body on display as it’s so cold in the UK. Most of the year I wear a coat! I was certain I would chicken out so we got there and everyone was naked in the changing rooms, I didn’t know where to look! Luckily, I was with my friend Melissa who had been once before therefore she was more relaxed about the situation.  It took me a while to get the confidence to get completely naked and even then I covered myself with the tiny towel they gave us.  




We went downstairs to the spa area and everyone was naked. It literally took me 2 seconds to think ‘why not?’ and remove my towel.  I must have been a nudist in another life haha! Anyways we went to have an adjumma scrub. Yes you heard right. You get scrubbed down by a adjumma in her underwear whilst your completely butt naked. It’s an experience in itself. We tried out all the different spas and saunas. I forgot I was naked a few times.

After we got changed and went upstairs to the shared area. My face was bright red as I have not much pigment in my skin so I got a few strange looks. They were some saunas in the main area so we chilled out in there for a while.  We also ate some boiled eggs Korean style.

All in all, I just have to say is…. I love jimjilbangs!! Dragon hill spa is only 10-12,000won entry (about a fiver) and for an adjumma scrub it cost 25,000 won (£12.50). And best of all they are 24hours so you can sleep in them J

No comments:

Post a Comment