As soon as I stepped foot in Tokyo in 2008, I knew I had caught the travelling bug. I decided I didn't just want to travel I wanted to experience the world! The different cultures, the people, the sites and most importantly (to me) the food!

Recently I have started to develop an interest in photography and hope to improve my skills while doing what I love most.

Welcome to my journey........

Friday 12 October 2012

Macau

Macau
On our last day we popped over to Macau. The journey takes about an hour and is not expensive at all. About 30 British pounds both ways. We caught a the number 3 bus outside the station. It cost about 5 Macau dollars (I think) though you can pay with HK dollars. Though you have to pay with the exact change.


We missed our stop so we had to walk back as there are only taxis in the tourist areas. Every taxi that drives passed is occupied. We ended up finding some old European/Chinese style side streets which was cool.

Macau was occupied by the Portuguese and you can see the influence in buildings over here. Just like you can see the British influence in Hong Kong. I really felt like I was on holiday in Macau. I love Europe so I really liked Macau.

Busy!

One of the squares.

Busy St. Pauls

The side streets finally led us to the ruins of St. Pauls. It was so busy in that area and there was even a wedding photoshoot going on outside the ruins. The ruins themselves are magnificent. I really love old European style ruins and this building was breathtaking. We went downstairs to a small room full of Catholic artifacts and bones.


Senado Square

We then headed up to a fortress on top of a hill. From here you can see most of Macau. The views were beautiful except one really ugly building. After walking for a while we finally found Senado Square, where we were originally supposed to have got off the bus. The square was busy with shops but we couldn't find somewhere to eat ><. After searching we found a resturant on the second floor of a building. I ordered steak as it was so cheap compaired to Korea!!! When it came out I was shocked. It was two thick pieces of steak which melted in my mouth... Delicious!



My prayer

We then want to a wander not knowing where we were going but the historic centre is small enough to walk around. You can walk down a dirty side street then end up in a beautiful square. This happened to us a few times.

We eventually ended up at A-Ma temple. I have never smelt so much incense in my life. It was everywhere! Me and Paul wrote a prayer card and hung it. They were so pretty.



We were quite far from where we started by this point so we tried to get a taxi but it was useless. Seriously there are no taxis that are empty! We had to walk all the way back to the square to join a taxi queue.

St. Paul's ruins



I am so glad we went to Macau. If you are going by ferry, be prepared to check in early. There is quite a long line at immigration.







Take that ugly building!



Macau

Macau

Church in Macau

St Augustine's Church




One of the pretty squares we found

Prayers


Incense


Macau

No comments:

Post a Comment