As soon as I stepped foot in Tokyo in 2008, I knew I had caught the travelling bug. I decided I didn't just want to travel I wanted to experience the world! The different cultures, the people, the sites and most importantly (to me) the food!

Recently I have started to develop an interest in photography and hope to improve my skills while doing what I love most.

Welcome to my journey........

Wednesday 17 August 2011

Off to Shanghai....


On Wednesday, I had to travel to Shanghai. I left my hotel really early as I wasn’t sure how long I need to be there before and how confusing the train station would be. Initially Beijing South railway station was confusing but after finding what they called the ‘waiting area’, which actually is where you catch your train, it was easy.

The train is supposed to go 350km an hour, but because of recent accidents involving high speed trains in China, the government has issued safety checks and the train could only go to around 300 km an hour (I’m going to put some of the journey on youtube in the next few days). Catching the train was easier than I expected and it was a direct journey. There was even a direct exit to the front of my hotel at the station.

I had booked a corner room at the park hotel as it was at a discount rate. The park hotel is quite an old hotel compared the modern hotels surrounding it so it comes  across with a 1930s Shanghai feel (just like in the movies). It used to be the tallest building in Shanghai in the 1920s or 30s.


I had only eaten 2 oreos all day by this point and it was 4.30pm so I decided to look up this fried dumpling place I had read on lonely planet as it was close.  When it said 5.5yuan (50p) for a dumpling I thought it meant one and I thought it was cheap so I ordered two. It turned out it was one set so I ended up with 8 big dumplings (I could only eat 4). I’m sure the person who took my order thought I was a pig.

I ended up having a bath (yay!) and watching Alvin and the chipmunks: The sequel………don’t judge me…….

No comments:

Post a Comment