As soon as I stepped foot in Tokyo in 2008, I knew I had caught the travelling bug. I decided I didn't just want to travel I wanted to experience the world! The different cultures, the people, the sites and most importantly (to me) the food!

Recently I have started to develop an interest in photography and hope to improve my skills while doing what I love most.

Welcome to my journey........

Wednesday 30 May 2012

Chuncheon


Myeong-dong Chuncheon

On Saturday, me and Paul decided to go to Chuncheon. Originally we were going to the East coast for the weekend but we decided to wait until Sarah could go. It was lucky we did wait as Sunday was gloomy weather. But on Saturday, the sun was shining so we went on our day trip. The journey took about an hour from Sangbong station. You can take the normal subway, bus or KTX. I think if I went again I would take KTX. It was so busy as the train is every 40 minutes.

When we finally arrived we got a taxi to the city center. You don't need to get a taxi. We only got one as we did not know what directiion to go in. If you want to go to the city center just head straight from the station. It is a ten minute walk. We first went to Myeong-dong Chuncheon. It is a cute shopping street but I think it is only special because the drama 'Winter Sonata' was filmed here. I think it would look much better in winter. In summer it just looks strange to have Christmas trees up.


Dakgalbi street

We then headed to Gakgalbi street. Dakgalbi is chicken, vegtables, rice cake etc. in a spicy paste. You cook it on a hot plate in front of you. Aprons are a must as it splatters everywhere!  It is delicious! I heard it is Korean university students food as you get a lot of food for your money. There are 5 of these streets around Chuncheon but this one is in the city and I think most famous. It is just behind Myeong-dong. The street was nice. Paul said it looked like Diagon alley in Harry Potter. After talking to some American girls and snapping some pictures, we ended off to chose a resturant. All the resturants served the same so we had to choose one that looked the best. We eventually chose one that looked busy and had famous peoples signatures on the wall (so it must be good!).

In Diagon alley ... I mean Gakgalbi alley.
We were lucky we went when we did as 2 minutes later there was a 20 person queue. At least this proves we chose a good resturant. If people are queuing for this resturant, when there are 10 resturants serving the same food around it, then it must be good. We just managed to finish every last peiece. It was so good. If you go to Chuncheon then go to this resturant!! ><

After eating spicy food we went to have ice creams and have a wander. We went to the lake near the subway. It was so beautiful but there was no-where to sit down.

We headed home and we knew we would have to give our seats up at one points as the older people always head towards the foreigners as they know we always give up our seats. Most (not all) pretend not to notice the older people and play on their phone or pretend to sleep. I don't blame them as most adjummas don't need a seat. On the way back one adjummas pretended to need a seat. She sat on the floor. I say pretend for a reason..... Well, I gave up my seat but when we got to the subway, she ran off the train and down the stairs. She was faster than me. The old people here are sneaky. I am not taking about the grandfathers and grandmothers but the 50-70 age range. They also are quite mean. I saw a really really old grandfather on the way there who could not stand as he was about 85 but not one adjummas in the special seats gave up their seat. It was disgusting to watch. I will get off this topic as it makes me too angry!!

I would go back to Chuncheon again but I would book the KTX ^^


Yay! Gakgalbi!

Before cooking.

Cooking!

Ready!

We somehow managed to eat it all!

Our resturant and the queue!

It felt a bit like a Greek island here. Hot and old buildings. Beautiful!

Lake


No comments:

Post a Comment