As soon as I stepped foot in Tokyo in 2008, I knew I had caught the travelling bug. I decided I didn't just want to travel I wanted to experience the world! The different cultures, the people, the sites and most importantly (to me) the food!

Recently I have started to develop an interest in photography and hope to improve my skills while doing what I love most.

Welcome to my journey........

Monday 7 March 2011

Meeting the dreaded sixth graders.

About 5 different teachers have warned me about the six graders. The things said to me have included cocky, think they know it all, hard to control, they don’t care, uncontrollable and they think they own the school.  So on Monday morning I was feeling slightly nervous. I thought the first class wasn’t so bad until I was walking around the classroom and saw written on the table ‘Mother f****’ and other bad language. I think these kids have been watching too many American movies! The other classes weren’t so bad, exempt a few boys, but it was only orientation day (Me and my co-teacher introducing ourselves and the classroom rules). I have a feeling next week will be a different story so watch this space…..
On Tuesday I had another warning from a Korean teacher about the six graders. She said they had made her cry in the past!!! Went out to Leanne and bumped into another SMOE teacher in my apartment! We all went out to a restaurant and I ordered Kimchi rice (my favourite). It wasn’t bad for 4,500 won (just over £2). I went to Homeplus again. It’s strange that I know where everything is in the supermarket after 1 week….

On Wednesday I walked into school to find about 50 kids inside the school entrance shouting with banners. At first I thought some sort of protest was going on, but then I realised the posters had different kids’ faces on them with their grade number. Yes, it was voting day for the year leader or whatever they are called. This meant my first 3 classes were cancelled so I had chance to research good TEFL websites. The only class of the day was so hyper! It was also full of jokers. My co-teacher – ‘Why do we learn English?’ Student – ‘Because the USA stopped Japan’. Of course the whole room burst out laughing with me looking lost.
I’m always so tired at the moment, so it was one of those days where you think ‘What am I doing half way across the world by myself’. I could easily fall asleep on the train if I wanted to but I don’t want to be robbed. So in need of sugar, I popped into my convenience store for crisp and what did I find??? Toffifee! Yes, it’s cheap worldwide! 1,500 won (75p) in fact! Take that pound shop in Stafford! I also got some Korean crisp, so I’ll write if they taste good or not. I had a choice of Chilli, onion, plain or some sort of fish flavour. Naturally, I went for the fish flavour and the chilli (not together!). Who wants to be boring and have onion or plain?! (I say that now but wait until I try them).
Some random advice! Don’t ever buy a film off itunes unless your computer is super-fast with lots of memory. I brought some films off there so I didn’t need to bring a separate DVD drive. Big mistake! It jumps, stops and I hate it!!! Arghhh I want to punch apple in the face. I packed my DVD drive in one of the boxes (my parents are moving house) so my mum won’t be able to send it me. I think I will have to go to Homeplus again. But I haven’t seen DVD’s anywhere…..Strange!

No comments:

Post a Comment